Indigenous Community-Based Climate Monitoring Program
This program provides funding for long-term climate monitoring projects in Indigenous communities.
Budget 2017 announced $6 million per year in contribution funding for 10 years, starting in 2018.
On this page
About the program
This program provides funding to support Indigenous peoples in the design, implementation or expansion of long-term community-based climate monitoring projects. Specifically, the program supports community-led projects to monitor climate and the environmental effects of climate change on communities and traditional territories. The program also facilitates access to tools and best practices, enhances collaboration and coordination among initiatives and supports Indigenous participation in program oversight.
Examples of eligible activities for funding include:
- community engagement
- developing a monitoring plan
- hiring and training of community members to work on the project
- rental or purchase of monitoring equipment
- monitoring key climate indicators
- assessing and managing Indigenous knowledge and science-based data
- communicating climate monitoring results
The information gathered through community-based climate monitoring initiatives can be used to inform Indigenous community adaptation actions and address climate data gaps.
These initiatives also provide local skill development and employment opportunities for youth and others and promote knowledge transfer between generations.
Consult the list of projects funded for more information about the kind of projects the program supports:
How to apply
Contact us to find out about ongoing funding opportunities for Inuit and Métis.
The program’s Call for expressions of interest for First Nations projects for the 2021 to 2022 fiscal year is now closed. It is anticipated that the program will launch its next funding opportunity for First Nations in fall 2023 for projects beginning in spring 2024.
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Public Enquiries Contact Centre.
- Climate Change Preparedness in the North Program
- First Nation Adapt Program
- Northern Responsible Energy Approach for Community Heat and Electricity Program
- Climate Change and Health Adaptation Programs (North and South)
- Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program
- Northern Contaminants Program
- Canadian Centre for Climate Services
- Indigenous Climate Hub
- Indigenous Community-Based Climate Monitoring Program Guide for Applicants 2021 to 2022 (the program is not currently accepting applications from First Nations)
Thank you for your feedback