University and College Entrance Preparation Program for Northwest Territories residents

This program provides registered First Nations individuals funding to enroll in post-secondary courses that will prepare them to enter a college or university program.

On this page:

About the program

The Northwest Territories (NWT) regional office manages this program for participants who live in the Northwest Territories except for Tłı̨chǫ registered members, where Tłı̨chǫ Government manages this program directly.

The Tłı̨chǫ Government can be contacted directly for more information for its registered members who can wish to utilize the program.

Students are eligible for tuition costs, book costs and a living allowance for a maximum of 4 semesters. Some students are also eligible for a travel allowance. Full-time and part-time students are both eligible for this program.

Inuit students in the Northwest Territories who enroll in post-secondary courses are advised to consult the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation's Inuit Post-Secondary Education Funding Programs, as well as the Inuit Post-Secondary Education Strategy.


To be eligible to receive University and College Entrance Preparation Program benefits from the NWT Region, you must:

Please note, Adult Basic Education courses and high school equivalency programs are not eligible for this program funding.

For information about this program in other provinces or territories, please visit: Post-Secondary Education.

How to apply

To apply, contact the regional office or the Tłı̨chǫ Government (if applicable) and ask for:

Before you submit, please ensure you have:

  1. Read and made sure you meet the eligibility criteria above
  2. Fully completed the application form
  3. Completed the confirmation of enrolment form and had your educational institution fill out their section

If you answered yes to all of those questions and you are an NWT resident, then you are ready to apply. Email your application to

You can also request a Student Budget sheet to help you plan for the upcoming school year.

Travel claims for current recipients

If you are already a University and College Entrance Preparation Program recipient, you will need to submit a travel claim form after you have traveled to be reimbursed for eligible expenses. Contact the NWT Region to receive the form.

Contact us

For more information about eligible programs and courses:

Phone: 867-669-2506
Toll free: 1-888-414-4340.

To contact the NWT region, visit Northwest Territories' regional office: contact us.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Don't include personal information (telephone, email, SIN, financial, medical, or work details).
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: