First Nations claims research, guidelines for informal access to records

Members of the Canadian public can access records from the Government of Canada through an informal request for the type of information which can generally be disclosed within the normal administrative practices of the department.

On this page

Process for accessing records

Before a request for records can be made, approval must be obtained in a letter authorized by the Director of Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP). To obtain approval and ensure the protection of personal information held in records, the researcher should complete and send ATIP 8(2)(k) form, Request for Personal Information by Native Claims Researchers PDF format (1.5 Kb 1 page) to

Once a signed authorization letter is obtained from the Director of ATIP, the researcher may then send a request for departmental records to the CIRNAC and ISC Ministerial and Archival Research office, .

Requests to access historical records under the care and control of Library and Archives Canada (LAC) should be made directly through LAC Reference Services by telephone.

What to bring when accessing records

To access their requested records, the researcher must present:

What to know when making a request


Please provide the name of the region you are referring to in the subject line of your communications.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Don't include personal information (telephone, email, SIN, financial, medical, or work details).
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: