Supporting Indigenous Women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ Organizations program
Funding to support Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations.
The call for applications for the 2021 to 2022 fiscal year has now closed. The deadline to submit a proposal was February 11, 2022.
For selected projects, please visit Supporting Indigenous Women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ Organizations program: funding recipients 2021 to 2026.
On this page
About the program
Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC) is working with Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations to:
- develop and support relationships based on trust and respect
- create opportunities to empower and engage Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations in decision-making processes that impact their lives
This program will provide contribution funding for projects that:
- increase the ability of Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations to engage at the grassroots level
- advance grassroots voices and the priorities of Indigenous women and 2SLGBTQQIA+ people within all levels of government
- support real and meaningful systemic change in Canada
The goals of this program are to:
- actively engage grassroots in the development of the governments' legislative and policy agendas
- ensure that government policies, programs, legislation, and services are reflective of grassroots priorities and perspectives
- increase awareness of government policies and programs among grassroots through outreach with Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities and organizations
- improve access to funding opportunities through relationship building across all level of government
Budget 2021 granted funding to support Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations through CIRNAC. $36.3 million over 5 years beginning in 2021 to 2022, and $8.6 million ongoing was set aside for this program to allow stable and longer-term project funding.
This program in part responds to the MMIWG Call for Justice 1.8, which calls upon governments to support national, regional, and local Indigenous women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations.
Activities that improve organizations' ability to investigate, develop, propose, review, inform or consult on policy or program development.
For a list of eligible activities, consult the Application guidelines.
Who can apply
Incorporated non-for-profit national, regional and community-level:
- Indigenous women's organizations, including:
- First Nations women's organizations
- Inuit women's organizations
- Métis women's organizations
- Indigenous women's organizations serving Non-Status Indian, off-reserve, and urban peoples
- Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA+ organizations
This program is now closed. The deadline to apply for this program was February 11, 2022 at 5:00 pm EST.
How to apply
- Complete the application form (PAW# 9839284). If you are having trouble accessing the application form online, you can contact us by email.
- Consult the Application guidelines to review additional information and requirements before submitting your application. The guidelines include more details on:
- eligible and ineligible activities
- eligible and ineligible expenses
- the process used to approve projects
- the reporting requirements
- Email or mail your application to the address listed in Contact us.
Please make sure that your application is fully complete and that all mandatory documents are included. The following documents must accompany the application form:
- proof of incorporation
- organization's bylaws
- list of board of directors members
You may also be asked to provide:
- information about your organization
- proof of project supports, if any
- your latest audited financial statements
Submitting a proposal does not guarantee funding. Funding amounts will vary based on the number of applications received and availability of funds.
Supporting Indigenous Women's and 2SLGBTQQIA+ Organizations program: Application guidelines
If you have questions about the program, need an application form or need help preparing your application, please contact:
Indigenous Women's Relations Unit
Indigenous and External Relations Branch
Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
10 rue Wellington, 20th Floor
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0H4
Thank you for your feedback