Call for art submissions by Indigenous artists in Canada
Call for art submissions is now closed
The call for submissions for the 2020 to 2021 Indigenous art acquisition program is now closed. Submissions were accepted at the Indigenous Art Centre until September 8, 2020.
The Indigenous Art Centre and Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC) invite Indigenous artists to apply to the peer juried Indigenous art acquisition program 2020-2021, as outlined in this call for submissions.
What is the Indigenous Art Collection?
The Indigenous Art Collection in Gatineau, Quebec is one of the most significant public art collections of contemporary Indigenous art in Canada. Since the early 1960s, the Indigenous Art Centre has been collecting works by living artists to create a unique collection that represents the artistic practices of community-based and urban Indigenous artists throughout Canada.
The Indigenous Art Collection includes a variety of works by established, mid-career, and emerging Indigenous artists, such as:
- new media
- mixed media
The Indigenous Art Centre also has more than 50 years of experience in promoting the art of Indigenous artists in Canada and abroad through:
- its art and cultural institution lending program
- national and international projects
- research facilities for national and international scholars and curators
- Artists must be of First Nations, Inuit, or Métis ancestry
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older
- Artworks must be in excellent condition and available for shipping and purchase
- Artworks must be created after 2015 and preferably be unframed and unmatted
- Artworks in all media accepted (for example: new media, customary, print, painting, photography, drawing, sculpture, textile)
- Artists must confirm 100% copyright or permissions regarding the work, or any imagery used in the work submitted
- A completed application form. If you don't have access to the electronic application form, please request one at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Up to 3 digital images total of the one work being submitted (single work, diptych, triptych, or series accepted):
- format: JPG format only
- image size: 17.7 cm X 12.7 cm or 7'' x 5''
- resolution: no more than 100 dpi on CD, USB, or by e-mail
- A short artist statement about the work submitted, including any information about medium, process, and edition number, if applicable
- An artist biography and curriculum vitae or page 2 of the application form, including self-identification as an emerging, mid-career, or established artist
- Please do not send original artworks with your application
The deadline for submissions to be received at the Indigenous Art Centre was September 8, 2020. Late or incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
Submissions or requests for more information can be sent by mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail to:
Indigenous Art Centre acquisition program, 2020-2021
Indigenous Art Centre
Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
10 rue Wellington, Room 928
Gatineau QC K1A OH4