Archived - National Funding Agreement Models
This Web page has been archived on the Web. Archived information is provided for reference, research or record keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
According to the Treasury Board Secretariat Directive on Transfer Payments, a funding agreement is a written agreement or documentation constituting an agreement between the Government of Canada and an applicant or a recipient setting out the obligations or understandings of both with respect to one or more transfer payments. It describes the requirements needed to maintain the accountability relationship between Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) and the funding recipient. INAC has published the 2018-2019 national funding agreement models below.
A New Fiscal Relationship
The Government of Canada is committed to working with First Nations to establish a new fiscal relationship that moves towards sufficient, predictable and sustained funding for First Nation communities.
Only minor updates have been made to the models, as the Government of Canada will continue to work collaboratively through the new fiscal relationship process to propose changes for future year's models.
In July 2017, it was announced that the greater access to carry over funds would be provided effective April 1, 2018. By this date, over two-thirds of First Nations funding will have this flexibility. By April 1, 2019, all funding for First Nations will have this flexibility, with a few minor exceptions. Increased access to unexpended carry over will be addressed in the development of 2018-2019 funding agreements.
Creation of ISC
The 2018-2019 national funding agreement models have been updated to reflect the creation of Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) and in preparation for the dissolution of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) and the eventual creation of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada. Models under ISC can be found on the ISC National Funding Agreement Models page. Models which are now under INAC can be found below. Recipients can be assured that existing agreements that are presently in place are legally binding and do not require any modifications related to the new departments.
INAC National Funding Agreement Models 2018-2019
- Archived - Provincial/Territorial Funding Agreement Model 2018-2019
- Archived - First Nations and Tribal Councils National Funding Agreement Model 2018-2019
- Archived - Streamlined Funding Agreement Model for First Nations 2018-2019
- Archived - Canada Common Funding Agreement for First Nations and Tribal Councils 2018-2019
- Archived - Plain/Simplified Funding Agreement Model for Project Funding 2018-2019
- Archived - Funding Agreement Model - Other 2018-2019
INAC National Funding Agreement Models 2017-2018
- Archived - Provincial/Territorial Funding Agreement Model 2017-2018
- Archived - First Nations and Tribal Councils National Funding Agreement Model 2017-2018
- Archived - Streamlined Funding Agreement Model for First Nations (New/Optional) 2017-2018
- Archived - Canada Common Funding Agreement for First Nations and Tribal Councils 2017-2018
- Archived - Plain/Simplified Funding Agreement Model for Project Funding 2017-2018
- Archived - Funding Agreement Model - Other 2017-2018
If you have any questions regarding departmental funding agreements, please contact the INAC regional office nearest you or the INAC Public Enquiries Contact Centre at 1-800-567-9604.