COVID-19 awareness activities for Indigenous kids
Activities to learn more about COVID-19.
On this page
What is the COVID-19 virus
COVID-19 is like a bug that we cannot see, touch or smell!
Have you ever been sick with a cold or a flu where you sometimes get a cough or a fever?
Well, COVID-19 is kind of like that because it carries these germs that can make you sick if you catch this invisible bug.
Most people who catch this bug can stay home, rest and get all better.
We know that the COVID-19 bug has been affecting many people around the world and has affected your life in many ways.
It has changed how we visit our families, how we play with our friends and family, and even how we learn at school.
- Draw an image of the COVID-19 bug
- Chat with your teacher and family: what have you heard about COVID-19?
How can you prevent COVID-19
The best way to prevent and slow down the spread of the COVID-19 bug is to become a Bug Buster Hero!
Remember, germs like to travel from person to person and that's how people get sick!
Being a Bug Buster Hero helps your family, friends and your community to not catch the COVID-19 bug!
You can be a Bug Buster Hero by doing these 4 things:
- wearing your mask when playing inside
- keeping a distance of a pool noodle between:
- yourself and your friends
- yourself and strangers
- catching your cough or sneeze in your elbow
- washing and sanitizing your hands often.
- Draw your own Bug Hero Mask
- Chat with your teacher and family: what does it mean to you to be a Bug Buster Hero?
What can you do to keep your family and community safe
Remember to be a Bug Buster Hero!
This means you play a very important role in keeping your family and community members safe.
By protecting yourself from catching the COVID-19 bug, you can stop the spread of the bug to your family, friends and community members.
We know that community gatherings and family events have been different this past year because we can't have fun in big groups.
We know that this can be hard and lonely at times, but being a Bug Buster Hero will help all of us be safe so that we can enjoy big family and community gatherings again.
- Chat with your teacher and family: what will you do as a Bug Buster Hero to keep your family and community safe?
What are the COVID-19 vaccines
Doctors and nurses are working hard to make sure you and your family get the new COVID-19 vaccines to help stop the COVID-19 bug.
These vaccines help your body build the power to help fight off the COVID-19 bug.
But how did they get here? Be a Bug Buster Hero and find out how the vaccines got to Canada and the important role they play in keeping you, your family and your community safe!
- Chat with your teacher and family: talk about the positive outcomes of the vaccine and how it can help protect your family and community
More information and activities
For additional information on COVID-19 and the vaccines, visit:
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Assembly of First Nations
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Métis Nation
For more activities, you can download this document (926 KB).
Thank you for your feedback