Northern Participant Funding Program
Faro and Coffee Gold project reviews
Funding is available for eligible individuals and organizations interested in participating in the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board’s review of the Faro project, in central Yukon. The deadline to apply is October 4, 2019.
Funding is still available for the impact assessment review of the Goldcorp Incorporated’s Coffee Gold project, near Dawson City, Yukon. The deadline to apply is September 13, 2019.
About the program
This program helps Indigenous people and Northerners participate effectively in impact assessment reviews for major infrastructure and resource extraction proposals.
Through the program, people who are potentially affected by major resource or infrastructure projects can get funding for:
- technical reviews of information
- data collection
- preparation of submissions and presentations
- preparation of witnesses
- retention of experts, including legal representation
The program supports the participation of those potentially affected by major project development in areas subject to modern land claim agreements in the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Who can apply
Applicants can be:
- Indigenous or Northern individuals
- Incorporated not-for-profit organizations
- Indigenous governments and organizations
Applications will be reviewed by an independent committee drawn from Indigenous groups, as well as the federal and territorial governments. This committee will determine both eligibility and appropriate funding levels.
Parties that are eligible for funding have:
- a direct, local interest in the project, such as living or owning property in, or using the project area
- an interest in potential impacts to related claims and rights
- community knowledge, Indigenous Traditional Knowledge or Inuit Qaujimaningit relevant to the assessment or expert information relevant to the anticipated ecosystemic and socio-economic effects of the project.
How to apply
The participant funding guide and application form are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org