Income Assistance

We provide income assistance to status First Nations people in the Whitehorse area who cannot meet their basic needs. Income assistance helps individuals and families meet basic needs for food, clothing and shelter. Our income assistance program follows the Government of Yukon's income assistance regulations (PDF) so that people who apply through either government will receive the same level of assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I Eligible?

You may qualify for income assistance if:

Eligible expenses include:

Where Do I Apply?

How Do I Apply?

Please call or visit our Client Services Office to book an appointment. You will need to provide your Status number.

Room 122, Elijah Smith Building (300 Main Street), Whitehorse
Phone: 867-667-3399
Toll free: 1-800-661-0451 (For Yukon Resident Clients Only. If you live in another province or territory, please call the Public Enquiries Contact Centre toll-free at 1-800-567-9604)

Note: this program is only provided to status First Nation individuals who are residents of the Yukon and living in the Whitehorse area. Non-Status individuals residing in the Whitehorse area may contact the Government of Yukon's Health and Social Services Department to apply for Yukon Social Assistance.

What to Bring to My Appointment?

Please bring the following information to your appointment:

During our first meeting with you, the Social Assistance Worker will ask about your current financial situation, family situation, health, education, work history and other relevant information. Appointments usually last about 45 minutes.

We will do our best to help you. If you're not eligible for regular assistance, you may be able to receive emergency assistance if your health or safety is at risk.

When Will I Get My Cheque?

If you provide all required information and are eligible, you can expect a cheque in the mail in about 10 to 12 business days.

What if I Don't like a Decision about my Income Assistance?

If you don't like a decision about your income assistance amounts you can ask for a review hearing. Tell your Social Assistance Worker or the receptionist that you want a review hearing and they will give you a form to fill out. They will tell you when the Manager of Client Services will review your case.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Don't include personal information (telephone, email, SIN, financial, medical, or work details).
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: