'First Nations people' include Status and non-Status Indians.
According to the 2016 Census, more than 1.67 million people in Canada identify themselves as an Aboriginal person – that equals 4.9% of the Canadian population.
There are more than 630 First Nation communities in Canada, which represent more than 50 Nations and 50 Indigenous languages.
Find out more
- First Nation Profiles
- Map room
- Kids' Stop
- First Nations in Canada
- A history of treaty-making in Canada
- Aboriginal arts, culture and heritage
- Renewing the relationship: Key documents
- About Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Programs, services and information for and about Indigenous peoples